Excel is famous for being a powerful spreadsheet software developed by Microsoft. It is widely used in many different industries and professions for its ability to organize, manipulate, and analyze large sets of data.Some of the key features that make Excel famous include its ability to perform complex mathematical calculations, create charts and graphs to visualize data, sort and filter data in a variety of ways, perform statistical analysis, and automate tasks through the use of macros and other advanced functions.Excel is often used in finance, accounting, marketing etc.
In this tutorial we will learn how to stop rounding up a number in Microsoft Excel. Excel automatically rounds up a number based on its default number formatting rules. By default, Excel displays numbers to two decimal places. When you enter a number with more decimal places, Excel will automatically round up or down the number to fit the number format. Also If a column is not wide enough to display a number in its entirety, Excel automatically rounds up the number to fit within the cell.
Method 1 : Increasing Number of Decimal Places in Cell Format
Step 1 – Select the Cells and Right click
- Select the cells containing the numbers that are automatically rounded up by Excel.
- Right click on the selected cells.
- A pop-up menu will appear.
Step 2 – Click on Format Cell and Select Number format
- Click on the Format cells option in the pop-up menu.
- Format cells dialog box will appear.
- Select Number as the cell format in the Numbers tab.
Step 3 – Increase the number of Decimal Places
- Increase the number of Decimal Places as required.
Step 4 – Click on OK
- Click on OK in the Format Cells dialog box.
- Now the numbers would be displayed in their original form without any rounding applied.
Method 2 : Increase the Column Width
Step 1 – Select the Column
- Select the column containing the numbers that are automatically rounded up.
- You may select the columns by clicking on the column header.
Step 2 – Hover your cursor over the right border of the column header
- Hover your cursor over the right border of the column header until it turns into a double arrow pointer.
Step 3 – Click and Drag the Border
- Click and drag the border to increase the width of the column.
- Release the mouse button.
- The width of the columns will be increased and the numbers will be displayed in their original form.