How To Make Excel Table Expand Automatically
Excel provides a straightforward method for creating expandable tables that automatically adjust as you add new data. By leveraging this functionality, you can save time and effort while ensuring the integrity of your data. Let’s dive into the step-by-step process of setting up an Excel table that expands seamlessly as new entries are made.
We will use the following dataset for today’s example.
Method 1 – Expand Through AutoCorrect Option
Excel’s AutoCorrect feature is a powerful tool designed to automatically correct common spelling mistakes and typos as you type in your worksheets. It helps improve accuracy, saves time, and enhances your overall productivity.
By default excel tables expand automatically either you enter data in columns or in rows. To understand the method, we will first make changes in AutoCorrect options. To do so, follow these steps.
Step 1 – Go To The File Menu
- To change the AutoCorrect options.
- Go to the File > Option > Proofing > AutoCorrect Option.
- Click on the AutoCorrect button.
Step 2 – AutoCorrect Dialog Box
- Navigate to AutoFormat As You Type Tab.
- Apply check marks on Include new rows and columns in table & fill formulas in tables to create calculated columns options.
- Click the OK button.
Step 3 – Excel Table Expand Automatically
- By following the above steps you can make your excel table expand as you type data.
Method 2 – By Changing Row Height
Sometimes in Excel, the rows get too small and the words can’t be seen anymore. You can use “autofit row height” to change how tall a row is based on how much text is in it. This makes sure the text fits without being cut off.
Step 1 – Select All Cells
- Click on the select all button to select the data, or press the CTRL + A shortcut key.
Step 2 – Go To Home Tab
- Go to the home tab, under the cell group, click on the format button.
- From the drop down menu, select AutoFit Row Height option.
Step 3 – Row Height Adjusted
- The above step will expand the rows according to the data.
In a similar manner, we can AutoFit the column width by choosing the AutoFit Column Width option from the format drop down button.