How to increment numbers in Microsoft Excel
In Microsoft Excel an increment in numbers refers to adding a fixed value to a cell or a range of cells. This action is frequently employed to generate a sequence of numbers or other values that adhere to a particular pattern. This feature is especially advantageous when creating extensive lists or large-scale sequences of numbers.
In this tutorial we will learn how to increment numbers in Microsoft Excel. In Excel, there are different ways to increment numbers, such as using the Autofill feature or SEQUENCE function. These methods allow you to quickly create a sequence of numbers and can also be used to create a sequence of dates, or other values with a constant interval.
Here we will create a series of incrementing numbers by utilizing both the Autofill feature and the Sequence function in Excel.
Method 1 : Using the Autofill Feature to Generate a Series of Incrementing Numbers
Step 1 – Enter the Starting Values Manually
- Enter the starting values of the series manually i.e. the first value of the series and the next incremented values.
Step 2 – Select the Cells
- Select the manually entered cells.
Step 3 – Hover the Cursor to the Right Bottom Corner
- Hover the cursor to the right bottom corner of the selected cells.
- A black plus sign will appear.
Step 4 – Click, Hold and then Drag and Drop
- Click and hold then drag and drop the black plus sign over the cells till you want to generate the series.
- The numbers will be incremented and a series will be generated as shown above.
Method 2 : Using the Sequence Function to Generate a Series of Incrementing Numbers
Step 1 – Select a Blank Cell
- Select a cell from where you start incrementing the numbers.
Step 2 – Place an Equals Sign
- Place an equals sign in the blank cell.
Step 3 – Use the SEQUENCE Function
- The syntax of the SEQUENCE function will be :
Where the first argument i.e. 6 is the number of rows in which the series is to be generated.
The second argument i.e. 1 is the number of columns in which the series is to be generated.
The third argument i.e. 1000 is the initial number from which the series will start to be generated.
The fourth argument i.e. 50 the value to be incremented.
Step 4 – Press the Enter Key
- Press the Enter Key to generate the incrementing series.