How to add selected cells in Excel
In Excel, adding two cells is a common operation performed for various reasons. For example, if we want to do some calculations, any kind of aggregation is required, any need of validation of data or the conditional formatting meant to be applied, we add the selected cells in data.
This makes two kinds of cases. Either we have to add some selected cells to another dataset or we have to sum the given values in selected cells. Both of them are discussed here.
Case No. 1 – Add selected cells to another dataset
In this case, we can add some selected data to another data, present in another sheet in the same workbook (or) another sheet in a different workbook. For example, we have data of sales of the Southern Region and the Northern Region. We want to add all the data for making a consolidated report, then we will use this function. The stepwise guidance is given below.
Step 1 – Select and copy the desired cells
- Select the desired cells in a column or row by using the mouse cursor. This can also be done by using keyboard shortcut by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ARROW UP OR DOWN for selecting data in column (OR) CTRL + SHIFT + ARROW RIGHT OR LEFT for selecting data in rows.
- Press keyboard shortcut CTRL + C to copy the selected cells.
Step 2 – Add selected cells to another sheet
- Select the desired column or row where we want to place this data by clicking the mouse cursor. This can also be done by inserting a new column or row in the data, if there is no blank space to put the selected data.
- Paste the data by pressing the keyboard keys CTRL + V. This will add the selected cells to another sheet. The description is given above.
Case No. 2 – Select and add the cells
In this case, we select some data containing the values in digits and then add them by using Microsoft Excel “Sum” function. For example, we want to add the total sale of a day, this function can be used.
The formula used for this function is : =SUM([Number1] : [Number2] ….) ,
Number 1 represents the first value which we want to start adding the data, or it can be the first value of the data range we want to sum.
Number 2 represents the second value which we want to start adding the data, or it can be the last value of the data range we want to sum.
Step 1 – Add the selected cells in desired place
- Select the desired cell range that we want to add.
- Choose the empty cell where we want to add the selected cells in excel.
- In this case, we selected E12.
- The formula for this case is =SUM(E3:E11). E3 is the first data cell to be added. E11 is the last data to be added. This is shown above;