How to indent in Google Sheets
You can watch a video tutorial here.
When working with data in Google Sheets, you may need to indent text in a column. This is to distinguish between the main items and the sub-items within a column. Google Sheets does not have a menu option or an option on the toolbar to do this, but there is a workaround. Using the Format option you can introduce spaces at the beginning of the cell to serve as an indent.
Step 1 – Open the Custom number formats box
– Select the cells to be indented
– Go to Format > Number > Custom number format
Step 2 – Create the format
– Before the ‘@’ symbol, type 3 spaces that will serve as the indent
– Click Apply
Step 3 – Apply the format to the rest of the cells
– Select the rest of the cells to be formatted
Note: To select various sections of the column, select one section and then hold down the Ctrl key while selecting the other sections. This will allow you to skip lines in between.
– Go to Format > Number
– The custom format will be displayed in the list
– Select the custom format
Step 4 – Check that the text has been indented
– The text in the columns is indented